Monday, November 24, 2008

RIP granddad smith

i got the call around midnight that granddad has passed away. i still can't really wrap my brain around it, because when i drove up and saw him this week, he was actually doing really well. it was just the worst sinking feeling in my heart when i walked out of his room, knowing it was gonna be the last time i would see him.

but i know now he is with Jesus. which probably is pretty nifty. the day i got the news that he was going to pass this week, i was pretty emotional and was packing to head home. chase asked me where i was going and what was wrong. i tried explaining it the best i could about going to see my sick granddad, and at first he got a concerned look on his face and asked, "george???" (who is my dad for those of you who don't know). when i assured him it wasn't his grandpa, he seemed relieved.

i tried to explain that granddad was going to be with Jesus soon. and with his sweet and confused face he asked, "so, why are you crying, mom?" just simply pointing out that isn't necessarily a bad thing. so my only logical response was that i am going to miss him sooooo much.

i have fond memories of granddad clem, like how at all family functions you would only find him in the TV room with a game of some sort on. or how he would always greet me with a "hey, girl!" in his voice i will never forget. granddad wasn't the most patient man and was certainly always right (something that has somehow been passed down the line directly to me! haha) but he was committed to his family. and boy, our family was committed to him up until his last breath.

you know, that's how i wanna go out. knowing my time is coming, yet i get the chance to say goodbye to every person i love. to be surrounded by love and care until that last moment. his spent his final days surrounded by his 3 daughters, 1 son,their spouses, his friend shirley who took care of him since my grandma passed away, 18 grandchildren, and 9.75 great-grandchildren (all pictured below). not to mention all the other visitors and phone calls.


i am nothing short of blessed to have been able to say goodbye to him. God has been so good, allowing me to say goodbye to each one of my grandparents so far. i am so thankful that all of them were even such a huge part of my life. i can only pray i can instill the value and importance of family the way each one of them did with me.



this picture was taken at our family reunion in johnstown, PA this past summer. some of you might remember me blogging about the awesome holiday inn we stayed at that had karaoke in the lounge our final night there. wouldn't you know my granddad came down there way past his bedtime and comfort zone because he knew some of his grandbabies were gonna be singing? he was always so proud.....

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

what a great man your granddad was! heaven will be a better place now that he is there! xoxo

cmrpaul said...

Aww. I'm sorry for your loss. So great that you were all able to get together for such an epic photo!

Jessica said...

I'm sorry! I'm so glad you were able to say goodbye to him and I agree that's how I want to go. I wasn't able to say goodbye and there are so many things I wish I could say to my grandaddy. He will always be with you in your heart!

Heather said...

"Hey girl!" (ha!) I love you and am praying for you and the fam. Grandads are awesome and I miss my Poppie often!!

syrinx said...

Been there, Marissa, and I'm sorry to hear that. But the picture shows how loved he is, and that's really awesome :-)