Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Cozumel- Day One



As a "mom-blogger", I was given the unique opportunity to be sponsored by Royal Holiday to check out their all inclusive resort Park Royal in Cozumel, Mexico. The timing couldn't have been any more perfect, and I decided to tote Brian down there with me :) I will blog for each day spent there (that's how I roll!), and then end with my review of Park Royal and our experience with Royal Holiday.

I have only experienced Tijuana, Mexico about 12 years ago...all I remember was pharmacies on every corner, jewelry vendors, little kids selling chiclets, tequila, and a whistle. Oh, and almost not being allowed back into the States because I didn't answer my "place of origin" correctly (my "look" did not work in my favor either!). I really didn't know what to expect with Cozumel, but I did hear from some friends how it is one of their favorite spots to shop and snorkel.

The Lobby


After arriving at the airport, we rode with a Laura (RH rep), Sean (NMS rep who I pestered to no end prior to arriving), Kristen (NMS rep who lives in DC and knows my sister Melanie which we disovered!), and Rosalind (travel blogger from Chicago) to our resort. Cozumel is a small island (30 miles from north to south, 16 miles from east to west). We drove through the downtown and it was bright and quaint. I was already in love with the culture there, I just felt relaxed. It is not "built up" and busy.

We pulled up to the resort and were greeted with punch in the very open and spacious lobby. We were given our wristbands and our luggage was taken to our rooms. We chatted for a few minutes with the bloggers and some reps and headed to our room. Brian and I were very impressed by the lush vegetation/trees they had around the center pool and the resort. We were on the 9th floor (top floor) in the center building, with the best view of the ocean and then the pool below.

The walk from the center pool to our building:


We used our free time to relax for a little while and then headed down to the center pool and the snack bar there. The food was cafeteria quality at best-the only offerings being nachos, hamburgers, or chicken patty sandwiches, all of which you can add fixings to. We ran into blogger Rosalind from Chicago and got to know her a bit more! We fed the friendly peacocks roaming about while sipping on our all inclusive pina coladas. The three of us decided to check out the resort and then Brian took a dip in the pool while I fell asleep for 2 minutes.

The nachos: one PLUS- fresh pico de gallo everywhere!!!!


The peacock:


We then met up with the rest of the group at 6:30pm for a tour of the resort. In the lobby we met Lynn Goya from Las Vegas. I will include pics from the tour and descriptions on my resort review post! Halfway through, we got to meet the final blogger, Chris Christensen from San Jose. We were now complete and together and enjoying our tour.

We had a group dinner at the Mexican restaurant on the resort, El Mexicano. I was a little freaked out that men were supposed to wear long pants and my husband did not bring any! But he was just fine :) The decor was welcoming, but the food was SCRUMPTIOUS. I didn't know what to expect given the snack experience, but I enjoyed lots of blanco wine, the appetizer sampler, tortilla soup, the Mexican seafood casserole (fresh shrimp, clams, squid, and fish sauteed in a tomato base), and then a very sweet chocolate mousse for dessert.

Appetizer Sampler:


Meet the Crew!!!
Rosalind and Laura (rep for Royal Holiday)


Kristen and Sean (reps from New Media Strategies)


Lynn and Brian


Me and Chris


We ended the evening with me, Brian, and Rosalind heading to the "disco" they had for that night. While at dinner we were invited by "Gorgeous" (Francisco) to check it out. They had the hazers in full force that night while showing a Madonna concert from a projector. We only lasted for 15 minutes at the most in there, but the songs during that time were Latin (and I am not the best Latin dancer!!). But everyone else around us was having a blast!

Rosalind got some dance mentoring from Gorgeous that night! (and proof of the hazers)


I guess it was a true sign that I am getting old! We headed back to our room and turned in for the evening.

2 comments:

Brad Flaherty said...

What an awesome trip...after only reading Day 1. I want Cindy and I to get away. Sigh.

Unknown said...

How did you get this gig? It sounds awesome! :) Miss you and your beautiful family already!