Tuesday, October 16, 2007

"such a pretty face"

it happened yet again..... it never fails that everytime i go out somewhere with my gorgeous and very attractive girlfriends (or any place at all for that matter), that some random man has to let me know that i have "such a pretty face." i've even had it prefaced with "don't take this the wrong way, but...". yes, i realize that i do not have the body of carmen electra, so if you tell me i am "pretty", i will not take it the wrong way to think that you must think i look good in every aspect. i am not delusional. you won't be leading me on. maybe they just feel sorry for me.

my friends crack up at this. why can't you just tell a girl she is pretty and leave it at that? i guess i should be honored that you have taken the time to let me know i have a pretty face, but seriously. it's almost like a back-handed compliment. you don't just say "you've got a great body", unless you think their face looks bad--you just tell them they are pretty. or maybe just don't say anything at all!

since my love language is definitely words of affirmation, i am so grateful for any compliments EVER. this one though, it just makes me laugh.

6 comments:

CindyLooHoo said...

Oh yeah- I get the " You are so tall" line. Now, I have never taken this in a positive light, being that usually they are staring at my chin when they say it.

Lofthill Love said...

GIRL i totally understand! I broke up with a guy b/c one night he told me I was lucky I had a pretty face LOL. I never understood that compliment, do people really think we take it as a compliment???

Anonymous said...

Do you suppose tall skinny girls are offended by that comment or just take it as a compliment?

*marissa* said...

couldn't tell you....i'm not sure how anyone else would feel about that. i just know how i feel! and who is posting on here anonymously? thanks for reminding me to change that :)

Heather said...

gurrl- you're beautiful all over.

merrill5 said...

grrr. i hate that.
Here, having a bit of meat on your bones is beautiful, it means you don't have AIDS.
Still I dont know how to take it when someone says "you're getting so fat" with a smile. It should be a compliment...I guess. I guess I'm just to american to take it as a compliment