We then drove to the carepoint at Moneni. To explain, Children's Cup has several carepoints around Swaziland. The carepoints provide a meal once a day (dishing) for any children in the vicinity (who register-i believe). They have a school there, up to grade 2 or so, preference going to orphans. You see, their government does not provide free education, so if you do not have money, you don't go to school. Christy is the educational director for these carepoints. She hires/trains/works with the teachers.
The Moneni Carepoint
For the morning portion, we observed in the classrooms, hel ping where we could. The kids were pretty fascinated by us and especially by our cameras and my videocamera. It has been a few years since I have been in the classroom setting and it was fun to be back (although Swazi education is very different!!!) The kids are so beautiful and spirited. They were instantly welcoming to us all.
We ate lunch at a nearby church before we helped Christy with some teacher training. We got to set up board games and teach them how to play them to take back to their carepoints. It was very interesting teaching adults how to play the game of "memory" (you know when you flip 2 cards over to make a match). I took board games for granted apparently too.
We went back to Moneni to pop popcorn (you know the old school poppers that take forever). We put on a movie about Daniel and the Lion's Den on a laptop onto the wall through a projector. Christy asked how many kids had seen a movie before and only a small handful raised their hands. Remember, most of these kids do not even have any electricity. They were fascinated by the popcorn and the movie--and the pixie sticks that jennifer brought from the States. They love them some sweets!
Some of the kids getting settled before the movie!
Afterwards, we "dished" pap and beans for all of the kids (at least 200). They bring their own dish (mostly beat up/used tupperware or plastic containers they can find). That was an overwhelming moment for me. Serving food to those children was heaven to me. I wish I could serve them everyday. Looking into their eyes and seeing all of their emotions that I could never understand was difficult at times. But they are just the sweetest!!!!!
After a long day, we went back to the RB Inn. I went down to Christy's place to call home, sort our luggage of school supplies and hopetown prayer bears, and had a wonderful time of fellowship with her and Tenae. The team then all went to a Swazi Kitchen for dinner. It was a lot nicer than I expected! I expected some hole in the wall place with sketchy food. This restaurant was nice, culturally decorated, and we were the only people eating in the entire restaurant. Here we experienced Swazi cuisine- oxtail, mutton stew, peanut chicken, butternut, avacado salad, polenta, and fried plantains. It was all delish!
Dinner with authentic Swazi Cuisine.
I also thoroughly enjoyed hearing lots of celine dion and r. kelly songs in the background. We ended up being pretty giddy by the end of dinner and our drive home. Before bed, Tenae came over and gave me a word and some scripture. She is off the chain!!!! And then I slept like a rock!!!!!

1 comment:
It's crazy how much I miss these kids and teachers!!
Post a Comment