Thursday, April 10, 2008

american idol gives back

that show was off the chain.....beautiful, inspiring, touching. i got home close to 11pm from my triad, but i just had to watch the show. unfortunately, my DVR cut off mariah carey's performance of "fly like a bird" and the contestants singing "shout to the lord". ok, come again? they sang "shout to the lord"?!?!?!?! so i looked it up on youtube this morning and was just in awe. here is one of the most incredible worship songs ever written being sung on american idol. i love that song so much, we sang it to God at my wedding! the studio version on i-tunes is phenomenal, worth buying!

can i just say how much i love mariah carey. sure people hate on her style (or lack there of), but nothing can ever take away from the fact she is probably the best vocalist to ever live (in my humble opinion). people ask me if i ever took voice lessons, which i have not. mariah carey was my "teacher". i would go to my basement (thinking no one in my family could hear me) and would just practice to her stuff over and over and over again. back in the day i could even hit her whistle notes, i just have been out of practice sadly. so yes, i sweat her and her skills.

carrie underwood's performance was beautiful-just like her. i give teri hatcher credit for putting herself out there like that-but it was pretty bad :) fergie and heart's duet was KILLER. "barracuda" is on my top 15 list. monica and i are our own heart group. haha. i love it.

i cried throughout most of the show. my heart breaks for people in need, and we have so many in our own backyard. i adore bono and his heart for africa--it got me totally pumped and inspired for when i go to africa this summer. i just can't wait to serve those in swaziland!!!!!

what a great show. thank you american idol for using your status to promote helping those in need!!!!

8 comments:

CallMeMommaRock said...

Oh Ris, I heart Mariah too! No matter what, people cannot deny that girl's God-given talent! She can sing like no other...and I am impressed that you hit those "whistles"...I never heard that from you in college! LOL
~Leah

Annie said...

I'm watching my tivo'd version of it now and I am so pumped for going to Swazi!!

Troy said...

I just sent Mariah an invitation to join your fanclub. :-)

Breezy said...

I'm not sure what Teri Hatcher was thinking, honestly. But I'm so glad you go to see the "Shout to the Lord" performance...I agree, it was amazing! I was quite surprised they sang that song, but it made me like all of them (including producers, etc) even more. Props to the person who had that idea!

Mrs. Cooper said...

JJ and I were both like "WOW!" when we heard them singing Shout To The Lord. It was awesome!

111 said...

i agree - we all could "give back" so much more than we do!

*marissa* said...

leah- i held back in college (or was held back!), but anyway that voice was under wraps and that's probably where i lost the whistle! i miss you!

annie-we are going!!!!!!!! yes!!!!!!

troy-let's hope she accepts. i mean why wouldn't she? haha. yeah, right.

brianne- you make me laugh so hard (teri hatcher), but yes props for shout to the lord!

angela-i am still in shock-they did it last night to open the show too!

rachel-i hear you, sista!

cmrpaul said...

I loves me some "Heartbreaker". :)

And Teri Hatcher. Yea. She has sung on "Lois & Clark" and "Desperate Housewives" (two favs... I think she sang on "MacGuyver" too.) and both times I've been like: Whoa. Dude. Be quiet.